Colorado Business Entity Search (LLC, Corporation, Partnership)
The business division of Colorado Secretary of State is responsible for maintaining the records of all the business entities registered in the state.
The business database is open to the public and one can access the data on Secretary of State (SOS) website for free.
Conducting the business search can be confusing especially for the first time users. Also, the complex terms used in the search report may be bit difficult to understand.
For this very reason, we’ve put together this guide, to help you carry out the search and make most out of it.
The SOS database has information about all the Corporations, Limited Partnerships (LP), Limited Liability Companies (LLC), Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) and trademarks registered in the state.
Note: Information on Sole Proprietorship is not available here.
Searching for a business entity can be helpful for users and business owners in the following ways:
- Business name availability check – No two businesses in the Colorado state can have the same name. Using the name search, one can check business name availability.
- The legal existence of company – Customers, vendors or competitors may want to check if the company they are dealing with is legally registered in the state or not.
- Status of the company – Whether the business is in good standing with the state or has the license expired.
- Download certified copies/file amendments etc.
- What is the current address of the business?
- Who is the registered agent and what is his/her address ?
Colorado Business Entity Search
One can search for a business entity on the Colorado SOS website in two ways:
- Business database search: Offers a simple search where one can search by business name, ID, trade name or document ID.
This is especially useful if you’re looking to check for business name availability.
- Advanced search: Complex search where one can search by date, registered agent name, reserved name holder, trade name registrant, and trademark registrant.
Business Entity Search by Name, ID, trade name or document ID
Step 1: Navigate to Colorado SOS business search page (opens in new tab).
Step 2: Enter the name of the business you are looking for in the text box.
For example, let’s search ‘BUTTERFLY’ as shown in the image above.
- Search the partial business name with common terms removed. For example, if you are to search for ‘HGH CONSTRUCTION, LLC‘, simply search ‘HGH‘ and filter down the business based on other associated information.
- Don’t write LLC, LLP, L.L.C at the end of the business name.
Step 3: Next, click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 4: On the next page, you’ll be able to view the list of businesses matching the search criteria along with following information:
- ID Number
- Document Number
- Formation Date
Step 5: Based on the above information, select the business entity you are looking for.
If this information is not enough for you to pinpoint the exact business, then you must click on each of the entry and check further details.
Step 6: Once you have selected the business entity, click on the corresponding ID number of the record. On the final page you can view the complete information about the business:
|Name||The Legal name of the business|
|Status||Current status of business – Good Standing/Delinquent/Expired/Administratively Dissolved|
|Formation date||Date of formation of the business entity|
|ID number||Business ID number in SOS records|
|Form||Business type (LLC/LLP/Corporation etc.)|
|Periodic Report Month||Month of the last filing of the periodic report|
|Jurisdiction||State of the jurisdiction of the business|
|Principal office street address||Address of the business|
|Principal office mailing address||Mailing address of the business|
Registered Agent Information
|Name||Name of the registered agent|
|Street address||Address of the registered agent|
|Mailing address||Mailing address of the registered agent|
You can also view additional information such as:
- Filing history and documents – To view the complete date-wise history of the business such as Articles of Organization, report filing date and change in the status of the business.
- Get certified copies of documents – To download available certified copies of the business.
List of available documents are:
- Articles of organization
- Statement curing delinquency
- Statement of correction
- Statement of change
File a Form – Business owner(s)/registered agent of the business can file the following forms on the SOS website:
- Amend Articles of Organization for an LLC
- Restate Articles of Organization for an LLC
- Amend and Restate Articles of Organization for an LLC
- Dissolve a Limited Liability Company
- Dissolve Delinquent Entity
- Statement Curing Delinquency
- Convert into Another Form of Entity
- Statement of Trade Name of a Dissolved or Delinquent Reporting Entity, a Non-Reporting Domestic Limited Partnership or a Converted Entity
- Statement of Trademark Registration of a Non-Reporting Domestic Limited Partnership, Dissolved or Delinquent Reporting Entity or Converted Entity
- Statement of Change
- Statement of Correction
Step 1: Click on the advanced search page (opens in new tab).
Step 2: Under ‘Advanced search‘, one can do more complex searches on the SOS database using one or more parameters.
Following filters are available:
- Registered Agent
- Reserved name holder
- Trade name registrant
- Trademark registrant
Step 3: Select the desired option and enter the search string in the text box.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 5: On the next page, you will be able to view list of companies matching the search criteria.
Step 6: Click on the desired company name to view further information.
Denver, CO 80290
Link: Map (Opens in new tab)
|Office Hours||8:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
Monday – Friday
Links & References
- https://www.sos.state.co.us/ – Official website of Colorado SOS.
Last Updated: 04/02/2019