Colorado Business Entity Search (LLC, Corporation, Partnership)
The business division of Colorado Secretary of State maintains records of all the active/inactive business entities registered in the state.
Basic information about each business such as address, owners name, registered agent etc is freely available on the SOS website. One can directly carry out the search for business information on the Colorado Secretary of State website (no signup required).
However, conducting business entity search for first-time users can be confusing as the SOS website is difficult to navigate. Also, the complex terms used in the search report may be a bit difficult to understand.
For this very reason, we’ve put together this guide, to help you carry out the search and make most out of it.
The SOS database has information about all the Corporations, Limited Partnerships (LP), Limited Liability Companies (LLC), Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) and trademarks registered in the state.
Note: Information on Sole Proprietorships is not available here.
Searching for a business entity can be helpful for users and business owners in the following ways:
- Business name availability check – No two businesses can have the same name. Using the name search, one can check for business name availability.
- The legal existence of company – Customers, vendors or competitors may want to check if the company they are dealing with is legally registered in the state or not.
- Status of the company – Whether the business is in good standing with the state or has the license expired.
- Download certified copies/file amendments etc.
- What is the current address of the business?
- Who is the registered agent and what is his/her address?
Colorado Secretary of State Business Entity Search
There are two ways to search for business information:
- Business database search: Search by either business name, ID, trade name or document ID. This search option is also useful for checking business name availability.
- Advanced search: Complex search where one can search by date, registered agent name, reserved name holder, trade name registrant, and trademark registrant.
Search by Name, ID, trade name or document ID
Step 1: Navigate to Colorado SOS business search page (opens in new tab).
Step 2: Enter the name of the business you are looking for in the text box.
- Start by searching the partial name of the business with common terms removed. For example, if you were to search for ‘HGH CONSTRUCTION, LLC‘, simply search ‘HGH‘ and filter down the business based on the other associated information.
- Don’t include LLC, LLP, L.L.C at the end of the business name.
Step 3: Next, click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 4: On the next page, you’ll be able to view the list of businesses matching the search criteria along with the following information:
- ID Number
- Document Number
- Formation Date
Step 5: Based on the above information, select the business you are looking for.
If this information is not enough for you to pinpoint the exact business, then you must click on each of the entry and check for further details.
Step 6: Click on the corresponding business ID number to view further details.
On the final page you will be able to view complete information about the business:
|Name||The Legal name of the business|
|Status||Current status of business – Good Standing/Delinquent/Expired/Administratively Dissolved|
|Formation date||Date of formation of the business|
|ID number||Business ID number in SOS records|
|Form||Business type (LLC/LLP/Corporation etc.)|
|Periodic Report Month||Month of the last filing of the periodic report|
|Jurisdiction||State of the jurisdiction of the business|
|Principal office street address||Address of the business|
|Principal office mailing address||Mailing address of the business|
Registered Agent Information
|Name||Name of the registered agent|
|Street address||Address of the registered agent|
|Mailing address||Mailing address of the registered agent|
Additionally, you can also view/download:
- Filing history – Complete date-wise filing history of the business such as Articles of Organization, report filing date, and change in the status of the business.
- Download certified copies of:
- Articles of organization
- Statement curing delinquency
- Statement of correction
- Statement of change
Use this search method to run complex queries based on one or more parameters.
Step 1: Open Colorado Business entity search page – Link (opens in new tab).
Step 2: Select ‘Advanced Search’ and choose the desired filter.
Following filters are available:
- Registered Agent
- Reserved name holder
- Trade name registrant
- Trademark registrant
Step 3: Select the desired option and enter the search string in the text box.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 5: On the next page, you will be able to view the list of business names matching the search criteria.
Step 6: Click on the desired business name to view further information.
Secretary of State Contact Info
Denver, CO 80290
Link: Map (Opens in new tab)
|Office Hours||8:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
Monday – Friday
Links & References
- https://www.sos.state.co.us/ – Official website of Colorado SOS.
Last Updated on: 27/03/2019