In District of Columbia, the Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) is the body that is responsible for incorporation and regulation of various business entities. Any business operating or looking to operate in DC must be registered with DCRA.
Following type of business structures can be registered:
- Limited Liability Companies
- Limited Cooperative Associations
- Business Corporations
- Nonprofit Corporations
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- General Cooperative Associations
- Statutory Trusts
Part of the task of DCRA is to keep records of all the business entities and makes it available online to the public. One can search for any business entity registered in District of Columbia online on DCRA website. Additionally one can also search for specialized business licenses, such as:
- Business License
- Corporate Registration
- Professional License
- Certified Business Enterprise
- Alcoholic Beverage License
Business entity search can help find if the business is legally registered, if it is in good standing, to check the availability of business name or to get information about any business.
To help you better understand how to conduct business entity search in District of Columbia, we’ve outlined a step-by-step search guide.
District of Columbia Business Entity Search
Step 1: Open District of Columbia Business entity search page – Link.
Step 2: You will be presented with 2 ways to conduct the search:
- By License Number – If you are aware of business ID, then you can directly search.
- Using Business Name or Officer(s) first/last name
By License Number
- Enter the License number in the text field.
- Select the ‘Search Criteria‘ and click on ‘Search‘ button.
If the entered license number is correct, you will be able to view the business information on the next page. Otherwise, you will receive an error ‘#License ID not found’
By Business Name & First / Last Name
Use this form of search if you would like to conduct the search by either the name of the business or name of the business owner(s).
- Search by Name:
- Enter the first few letters of the business name you are searching for. Auto-suggest will suggest the list of business entities matching the search string.
- Select the desired business entity name and click on ‘Search‘ button.
- Search by Business Owner/License holder Name:
- Enter the first few letters of the first name in the ‘First Name‘ text box. From the auto suggest drop down, select the desired person’s name. If you would like to search by the last name of the person, follow the same process in ‘Last Name‘ text box.
- Click on ‘Search‘ button.
On the next page you will be able to view details of the business with the following details:
|Corporation/Entity Name||Business/Corporation registered Name|
|File Number||The identification number assigned by the Columbia Secretary of State at the time of registration|
|Next Report Year||Next Annual report due year|
|Entity Address||The executive office of a business entity|
|Model Type||An abstract representation of what a business does and how it makes money. In other words, Business Type – LLC/LLP/Corporation (For-Profit/Non-Profit)|
|Entity Status||The current state of the Business – Active/Revoked/Name Changes/Terminated|
|EFFECTIVE DATE||Date of Business Registration|
|LOCALE||Domestic / Foreign|
Note: If the business name you are looking for shows status such as ‘Active’, ‘Revoked’, ‘Withdrawn’ etc, it means the name is reserved.
|Address||1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024|
|Phone||Phone: (202) 442-4400|
Fax: (202) 442-9445
|Hours||Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm|
Thur – 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Sat/Sun – off
Links & References
Last Updated: 05/10/2018