District of Columbia Business Entity & Corporation Search
In this guide, we’ll be discussing how to conduct business entity search in District of Columbia.
All the businesses operating in DC must register with the Secretary of State. And the SOS provides a free online tool to search through these business records.
How can business entity search help,
- Researching business name and checking availability
- Check the current status of any company
- Find public information about any registered business.
In DC, the Corporations Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) is the supreme body that is responsible for business formation and regulation. Any business operating or looking to operate in DC must register with DCRA.
DCRA is also tasked with the record keeping of the registered businesses and making the data available to the public. Information such as business address, owner(s) name, registered agent details is a matter of public data and can be retrieved online.
Information about only LLCs, Corporations, Partnerships, Associations, and Trusts registered in DC can be searched online.
Additionally one can also search for specialized business licenses, such as:
- Business License
- Corporate Registration
- Professional License
- Certified Business Enterprise
- Alcoholic Beverage License
To help you better understand how to carry out the search, we’ve outlined the steps below.
District of Columbia Secretary of State Business Entity Search
Step 1: Open District of Columbia business entity search page – Link.
Step 2: Here, you can conduct the search in two ways:
- By License Number – If you are aware of business ID, then you can directly search.
- Using the Business Name or Officer(s) first/last name – Useful for conducting business name research and checking availability.
By License Number
- Enter the License number in the text field.
- Select the ‘Search Criteria‘ and click on ‘Search‘ button.
If the entered license number is correct, you will be able to view the business information on the next page. Otherwise, you will receive an error ‘#License ID not found‘
By Business Name & First / Last Name
Use this search method if you would like to search either by the name of the business or business owner(s) name.
- Search by Name:
- Enter the first few letters of the business name you are searching for. Auto-suggest will suggest the list of business name matching the search string.
- Select the desired business and click on the ‘Search‘ button.
- Search by Business Owner/License holder Name:
- Enter the first few letters of the first name in the ‘First Name‘ text box. From the auto suggest drop down, select the desired person’s name. If you would like to search by the last name of the person, follow the same process in ‘Last Name‘ text box.
- Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
On the next page you will be able to view the following details about the chosen business:
|Corporation/Entity Name||Business/Corporation registered Name|
|File Number||The identification number assigned by the Columbia Secretary of State at the time of registration|
|Next Report Year||Next Annual report due year|
|Entity Address||The executive office of the business|
|Model Type||An abstract representation of what a business does and how it makes money. In other words, Business Type – LLC/LLP/Corporation (For-Profit/Non-Profit)|
|Entity Status||The current state of the Business – Active/Revoked/Name Changes/Terminated|
|EFFECTIVE DATE||Date of Business Registration|
|LOCALE||Domestic / Foreign|
Note: If the business name you are looking for shows status such as ‘Active’, ‘Revoked’, ‘Withdrawn’ etc, it means the name is reserved.
|Address||1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20024|
|Phone||Phone: (202) 442-4400|
Fax: (202) 442-9445
|Hours||Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm|
Thur – 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Sat/Sun – off
Links & References
Last Updated on: 27/03/2019