Idaho Business Entity & Corporation Search
Business entity records in Idaho is maintained by the Idaho Secretary of State. The SOS also oversees the regulation and compliance of the businesses operating in the state.
Basic information pertaining to each business can be accessed online on the Idaho Secretary of State website. The data is open to the public and anyone can access it for free.
Currently, the SOS records information about LLCs, Corporations, Partnerships, DBA and non-profits registered in the state of Idaho.
Conducting a business entity search can help you in,
- researching business name/checking business name availability
- downloading filed documents
- View information about any other business such owner(s) name, address etc
- Checking the current status of any business
We’ve put together this guide to help you conduct business entity search on the secretary of state website successfully. We’ve also explained the meaning of complex terms used in the report.
Idaho Secretary of State Business Entity Search
Idaho SOS provides a number of ways to carry out the search.
- Business Name – Search by complete/partial name of the business
- Business City – All the businesses registered in a particular city will be shown
- Organizational ID / Filing Number – Businesses exactly matching the ID/Filing number will be displayed
- Registered Agent Name: Permits you to search for business entities based on the name of the registered agent.
- Registered Agent City: Allows you to search for any business based on the registered agent city.
- Date of origination / Authorization: Search for businesses incorporated on a particular date.
You can use one or more search parameters together to further narrow down the search results.
Search by Name
Step 1: Open Idaho Secretary of State business entity search page (opens in new tab).
Step 2: Enter the complete/partial name of the business you are looking to search in the text field. Next, click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 3: On the next page, you can view the list of business names matching the searched string.
Additionally, following information about each business will be shown:
- Organizational ID / Filing Number
- The search results will show all the businesses whose name contains the searched string. Example, searching for ‘bus’ will also show ‘Business Inc’ in the result. So its good idea to enter as many letters as possible to narrow down the search results.
- You can use ‘AND’ and ‘OR’ operators to limit the search.
- For doing a phrase search, enclose the search string within quotes.
For illustration purpose, here we’ve searched for the name ‘Apple’. Here is how the results page looks like (refer the image).
Step 4: Select the desired business by clicking on its name.
Step 5: On the next page, you can view complete information about the business.
|Business Name||Name of the business|
|Type of Business:|
|Status:||Current Business Status – Active/Inactive/Dissolved|
|State of Origin:||State of Formation of Business|
|Date of Origination/Authorization:||Date of business Formation|
|File Number:||ID assigned by the SOS|
On the top of the page, you can request for the certificate of existence (a fee of $12 is applicable).
Search by Business City
Use this search to find/narrow down the list of businesses operating in a particular city.
Step 1: Navigate to Idaho SOS business search page – Link.
Step 2: In the text field, enter the name of the city where the main office of the business is located. Click on the ‘Search’ button.
Step 3: On the next page, you can view the list of businesses whose address on file contains the city you just searched.
Step 4: Select the desired business by clicking on its name or filing number.
Search by Organizational ID / Filing Number
Each business registered with Idaho SOS is assigned a unique 7 character ID. Using this filing number, you can directly search for the business information.
Step 1: Open the Idaho business search page.
Step 2: Enter the filing number in the text field, and click on the ‘Search’ button.
Note: If the filing number is incorrect, you will be receiving an error ‘Invalid Filing Number’.
Step 3: On the next page, you can view the details of the business corresponding to the filing number.
Step 4: Click on ‘View details‘ or on the name of the company to view further information about the business.
Search by Registered agent (RA) Name and City
Step 1: Visit Idaho secretary of state business search – Link.
Step 2: Enter the name of the registered agent in the text field. You can also enter the city where the RA operates in, to further narrow down the result.
Step 3: Click on the ‘Search’ button.
Step 4: On the next page, you will be able to view the list of businesses with which the RA is associated.
Step 5: Click on the business name to view further details about the business and the registered agent.
Search by Date of Origination / Authorization
Step 1: Open Idaho business entity search page.
Step 2: Enter the authorization date in the text field. While entering the date, follow this pattern: month/date/4-digit year.
You can also search for business entities registered between a date range. Enter the start and end date to find businesses registered during that time period.
Below is the visual representation of the results for the period starting from 01/04/2018 (no end date is given).
Secretary of State Contact – Business Office
450 N 4th St Boise ID 83702Mailing
PO Box 83720 Boise ID 83720-0080
|Phone||Phone: (208) 334-2301|
Fax: (208) 334-2080
|Hours||Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm|
Links & References
Last Updated on: 27/03/2019