In this article, we will be discussing steps involved to reserve a business name in Indiana. InBiz which is the sub-division of Indiana Secretary of State handles business name reservation process.
Generally, name reservation is done to protect the business name from being registered by someone else till the time business is officially formed.
The business name can be reserved for the period of 120 days which can be further renewed. The business name reservation can also be transferred.
Indiana Business Name Requirement
Indiana Secretary of State has mandated certain requirements which you must keep in mind while selecting a business name.
The business name must be unique and distinguishable from any existing business entity name registered with Secretary of State. Also any difference in grammar, similarly sounding business name, or using stop words does not make the business name unique and it will lead to the name being rejected.
For example following names are not distinguishable:
- Justin Plumber LLC vs The Justin Plumber LLC
- Mango Farm LLC vs Mango Farms LLC
- Jake & Mary Corporation vs Jake and Mary Corporation
Required suffix in the business name:
- For Corporations:
Must contain either “Corporation”, “Company”, “Incorporated”, “Limited” or an abbreviation of one of such words.
- For LLC
– Must contain either “Limited Liability Company”, “L.L.C.”, or “LLC”.
– LLC name may contain the name of manager or member.
- Language which states or implies the business is organized for an impermissible purpose
Checking the Availability of a Business Name
Now that you have understood the business name requirements, you conduct the business name availability search.
You can find information on how to search for a business name in Indiana here.
How to Reserve Business Name
In Indiana, you can reserve the business name online instantly. Follow the guide below:
- Create an account with “Access Indiana” – Link. If you already have an account, then you can directly login.
- On the next page, click on “Online Services” link.
- Next, under SOS Business Division click on “Name Reservation“.
- Enter the name of the business and fill out the applicant information.
- Make the payment of $10 using credit/debit card.
- You will receive name reservation confirmation on the next page.
For any queries, you can contact the SOS at 1-317-234-9768 during business hours.
Last Updated: 18/09/2018