Louisiana Business Name Reservation
Filing for name reservation in Louisiana will protect the business name from being registered by someone else.
If you are thinking to form your business at some point later but are sure about the name of the business then you can use the name reservation to protect the name for the time being.
The name can be reserved for the period of 60 days and can be renewed for two extensions of 30 days. The name reservation can be transferred to somebody else during the holding period.
Louisiana Business Name Requirement
Louisiana Secretary of State has mandated certain requirements which you must keep in mind while selecting a business name.
The business name must be unique and distinguishable from any existing business entity name registered with Secretary of State. Also any difference in grammar, similarly sounding business name, or using stop words does not make the business name unique and it will lead to the name being rejected.
For example following names are not distinguishable:
- Justin Plumber LLC vs The Justin Plumber LLC
- Mango Farm LLC vs Mango Farms LLC
- Jake & Mary Corporation vs Jake and Mary Corporation
Required suffix in the business name:
- For Corporations:
– Must contain either “Corporation”, “Incorporated”, “Limited” or an abbreviation of one of such words.
– “Company” or “Co.” may be used provided they are not immediately preceded by “and” or “&”.
- For LLC
– Must contain either “Limited liability company”, “L.L.C.” or “LC”.
– Low-profit limited liability company must contain L3C in the name.
- Permission must be taken from concerned authorities to use terms related to licensed professions, businesses or industries.
- Deceptive or false names which assert the business as charitable or non-profit are rejected.
Business Name Search
Based on the information shared above, proceed to search for the business name on the SOS website. We have written an in-depth tutorial on how to search for a business name in Louisiana.
How to Reserve Business Name
Business name reservation can be done over mail, online or in-person. Online mode is recommended as the request is immediately processed.
|Address||P.O. Box 94125, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125|
|Processing Time||Within 1 week|
- Download the Louisiana name reservation form – Link.
- Fill up the form.
- Include the money order or check drawn in favor of “Secretary of State”.
- Send the filled form to:
P.O. Box 94125,
|Fees||$25 + $5 Convenience Fee|
- Create an account with geauxBIZ or login into your account if you already have one.
- Click on ‘Getting Started’ button.
- On the next page, select ‘Reserve a new business name’ option.
- Select your business type.
- Next, enter the name to be reserved and contact information.
- Make the payment.
- You will receive a confirmation of the name reservation on the final page.
For any queries, you can contact the SOS at (503)-986-2200 during business hours.
Last Updated: 25/08/2018