Mississippi Business Name Reservation
Before officially forming your business (LLC, Corporation etc) in Mississippi, you may consider reserving the name for your company first. Reserving business name is especially helpful in cases when you are sure to form the business in next few months but are not ready yet. Name reservation can protect your PERFECT business name, till the time you are ready for filing.
The business name can be reserved for the period of 180 days and can not be renewed further. The name reservation is transferable.
Mississippi Business Name Requirement
Mississippi Secretary of State has mandated certain requirements which you must keep in mind while selecting a business name.
The business name must be unique and distinguishable from any existing business entity name registered with Secretary of State. Also any difference in grammar, similarly sounding business name, or using stop words does not make the business name unique and it will lead to the name being rejected.
For example following names are not distinguishable:
- Justin Plumber LLC vs The Justin Plumber LLC
- Mango Farm LLC vs Mango Farms LLC
- Jake & Mary Corporation vs Jake and Mary Corporation
Required suffix in the business name:
- For Corporations:
Must contain either “Corporation”, “Incorporated”, “Company”, “Limited” or an abbreviation of one of such words.
- For LLC
Must contain either “Limited Liability Company”, “L.L.C.” or “LLC”
- Language indicating or implying the business entity is organized an impermissible purpose.
- Terms such as “Bank,” “Trust,” “Trustee,” “Insurer” or “Insurance Company” cannot be included in the name without prior approval from the concerned authorities.
- LLC name cannot include “Corporation,” “Incorporated,” “Limited”, “Limited Partnership” or an abbreviation of one of such words.
Checking the Availability of a Business Name
Before you can register your business name, you would need to check the business name availability on Mississippi SOS website. We have written an in-depth tutorial on how to search for a business name in Mississippi.
How to Reserve Business Name
Business name reservation can be filed online. The process is instant.
Mississippi Secretary of State Contact
For any queries, you can contact the SOS at (601) 359-1633 during business hours.
Last Updated: 25/08/2018