Nebraska Secretary of State maintains a database of all the business entities registered in the state. It stores information such as incorporators details, business address, annual reports and more. All these data are provided to the public for free and can be accessed on the SOS website.
The business entity search is useful particularly when someone is looking for:
- Check availability of the business name
- Find out the current status of the business
- Download Certificate of Good Standing and filed documents
This article guides you through the process of searching for a business entity registered in the State of Nebraska (NE).
Nebraska Business Entity Search
One can conduct the search in 2 ways:
- By Business Name
- By Account Number
Search by Name
Step 1: Navigate to Nebraska business entity search page – Link (opens in new tab).
Step 2: You will be presented with the following filters to conduct the search:
- Name Starts With – Fetches all the business names that start with the entered search string. Minimum 3 letter needs to be entered.
- Name Keyword Match – Searches by the occurrence of the entered keyword in the business name.
- Match all words – Entries containing all the keywords entered are shown.
- Match Any Words – Entries containing any of the keywords are shown.
- Name Sounds like – Shows business names which sound like the search string (based on Soundex).
- Name exact match – Shows results which exactly match the search string.
Based on the information available with you choose the appropriate filter.
Step 3: Fill the captcha and click on ‘Perform Search‘ button.
Step 4: On the next page, list of business entities matching the search query will be shown. Below is the sample result for the search query starting with the word ‘alex’.
Following information about each business is listed on the page:
- Business Entity Name
- Secretary of State Account Number
Step 5: With the information available, narrow down to the business entity you were searching for.
Step 6: Click on the “Details” beside business name to view the complete information available.
Step 7: On the final page, you will be able to view the following information:
|Name||Business Entity Name|
|SOS Account Number||Business ID number|
|Status||Business Status – Active/Inactive/Dissolved|
|Principal Office Address||Business Address|
|Registered Agent and Office Address||Registered Agent’s Name & Address|
|Nature of Business||Short description of the business|
|Entity Type||Business Entity Type – LLC/LLP/Corporation (Domestic/Foreign)|
|Date Filed||Date of business registration|
One can also purchase filed documents related to the business. For each page, the cost is 0.45$.
Search by Account Number
Secretary of State assigns a unique 8 digit number to every business registered in the state. Using this number one can directly search for information about the business:
Step 1: Open Nebraska secretary of state business search page – Link.
Step 2: Enter the 8 digit business registration number in ‘Account Number‘ field.
Step 3: Complete the captcha and click on ‘Perform Search‘ button.
Step 4: On the next page, you will be able to view information about the concerned business entity. If the account number is incorrect, you will receive an error.
Nebraska Secretary of State,
1201 N Street, Suite 120,
Lincoln, NE 68508 (Directions)Mailing Address
Nebraska Secretary of State,
P.O. Box 94608,
Lincoln, NE 68509-4608
|Office Hours||8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Mon to Fri) Sat/Sun – Closed|
Links & References
Last Updated: 05/10/2018