Division of Corporations a subdivision of New York Secretary of State maintains business and corporation database. The database has information about all the businesses registered in the state along with records of filed documents.
Records of following type of entities are available:
- Not-for-Profit Corporations
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Limited Liability Companies
Note: The database does not include information of assumed names.
The secretary of state provides a free online tool using which one can search for a registered business online. On this page, we will walk you through the steps on how to efficiently search for a business in New York.
New York Secretary of State Business Search
Step 1: To start with, navigate to the New York Business Entity Search page – Link (opens in new tab).
Step 2: In the text box corresponding to the Entity Name, enter the name of the business you are looking for.
You have a couple of options to narrow your search:
- Name Type
- Active – Search only active entities.
- All – Search both active and inactive entities.
- Search Type
- Begins With – Business entity names starting with the entered search phrase will be shown.
- Contains – Business name containing the searched word will be shown.
- Partial – Business name partially/fully matching the searched term will be displayed. This options works similar to a contains search option. The difference is that in this option you can also enter a partial word.
For example: If we were to search for “Hummingbird Home Solutions, LLC”, the following combination of search filters can be used:
- Entity Name – Humming; Search Type – Begins With
- Entity Name – Bird; Search Type – Contains
- Entity Name – Solu; Search Type – Partial
Step 3: Complete the captcha challenge.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 5: The search results will be displayed on the next page as shown in the image above. Click on the preferred business entity name.
Step 6: Clicking on the selected business entity takes you to the next page, where you can find complete information about the business.
The following information is available:
|Current Entity Name||Business Entity Name|
|DOS ID #||Unique ID assigned to the Business Entity|
|Initial DOS Filing Date||Date of filing of business incorporation documents.|
|Jurisdiction||State of Jurisdiction|
|Entity Type||Business Entity Type – LLC/Corporation/Partnership/Domestic/Foreign|
|Current Entity Status||Current Status of the Business – Active/Inactive|
At the bottom of the page, stock information and name history is also available.
New York State, Department of State
|Office Hours||9 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM – 4 PM (Mon to Fri)|
Links & References
Last Updated on: 05/10/2018