New York Business Entity & Corporation Search
In New York, Division of Corporations (a subdivision of New York Department of state) maintains records of all the business entities registered in the state. The department also oversees the business incorporation and regulatory compliance of the businesses.
In this guide, we’ve laid down step-by-step instructions on how to search for a business in New York. And we’ll also be explaining the meaning of complex terms used in the search report.
Business entity search can help you check business name availability, find information about any business, file documents or finally help you in verifying the authenticity of a business.
Basic information about each registered business can be obtained online on the NY DOS website for free. Information such as owner’s name, address, registered agent and other filed documents can be found in the database.
Currently, the SOS holds records of the following type of entities:
- Not-for-Profit Corporations
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Limited Liability Companies
Note: The database does not include information on assumed names and sole proprietorships.
New York Secretary of State Business Entity Search
Step 1: To start with, navigate to the New York Business Entity Search page – Link (opens in new tab).
Step 2: Enter the name of the business you are looking for in the text box corresponding to ‘Entity Name’.
Next, choose the relevant filters to narrow your search:
- Name Type
- Active – Search only active entities.
- All – Search both active and inactive entities.
- Search Type
- Begins With – Business names starting with the entered search phrase will be shown.
- Contains – Business name containing the searched word will be shown.
- Partial – Business name partially/fully matching the searched term will be displayed. This option works similar to contains filter. The difference is that in this option you can also enter a partial word.
For example: If we were to search for ‘Hummingbird Home Solutions, LLC‘, the following combination of search filters can be used:
- Entity Name – Humming; Search Type – Begins With
- Entity Name – Bird; Search Type – Contains
- Entity Name – Solu; Search Type – Partial
Step 3: Complete the captcha challenge.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 5: On the next page, you can view the search results. Click on the preferred business entity name.
Step 6: Clicking on the selected business takes you to the next page, where you can find complete information about the business.
The following information is available:
|Current Entity Name||Business Name|
|DOS ID #||Unique ID assigned to the Business|
|Initial DOS Filing Date||Date of filing of business incorporation documents.|
|Jurisdiction||State of Jurisdiction|
|Entity Type||Business Entity Type – LLC/Corporation/Partnership/Domestic/Foreign|
|Current Entity Status||Current Status of the Business – Active/Inactive|
At the bottom of the page, stock information and name history are also available.
Secretary of State Contact Details
New York State, Department of State
|Office Hours||9 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM – 4 PM (Mon to Fri)|
Links & References
Last Updated on: 02/05/2019