In this article, will be discussing steps involved to reserve a business name in New York. To reserve the name, you would need to file for name reservation with the Department of State. Name reservation is generally done to protect the business name from registration till the time business is officially registered.
The business name can be reserved for the period of 60 days which can be further renewed once more. The business name reservation can also be transferred.
New York Business Name Requirement
New York Department of State has mandated certain requirements which you must keep in mind while selecting a business name.
The business name must be unique and distinguishable from any existing business entity name registered in the state. Also any difference in grammar, similarly sounding business name, or using stop words does not make the business name unique and it will lead to the name being rejected.
For example following names are not distinguishable:
- Justin Plumber LLC vs The Justin Plumber LLC
- Mango Farm LLC vs Mango Farms LLC
- Jake & Mary Corporation vs Jake and Mary Corporation
Required suffix in the business name:
- For Corporations:
Must contain either “Corporation”, “Incorporated”, “Limited” or an abbreviation of one of such words.
- For LLC
Must contain either “Limited Liability Company”, “L.L.C.”, “LLC”
- Name containing “bank,” “banking,” “banker,” “trust,” “insurance,” “insurer,” “engineer,” “architect” or any abbreviation of such words cannot be used without prior approval from the certifying body.
- Language stating or implying the business is organized for an impermissible purpose
- LLC cannot contain words such as: “Board of Trade,” “Chamber of Commerce,” “Community Renewal”, “Corporation,” “Incorporated,” “Partnership,” “State Police,” “State Trooper,” “Tenant Relocation,” “Urban Development” and “Urban Relocation”.
Checking the Availability of a Business Name
New York Department of State provides an online tool to check the availability of any business name. You can use this tool to find and research name for your business. We have written an in-depth tutorial on how to search for a business name in New York.
How to Reserve Business Name
Business name reservation can be over Mail. Please follow the steps given below:
|Fees||$20 for For-Profit (LLC/Corporation/Partnership)|
$10 for Non-Profit
|Address||New York Department of State,|
Division of Corporations,
One Commerce Plaza, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12231
|Processing Time||Around 3 days after the receipt|
- Download the New York Name reservation form – Link.
- Fill the form with the requested details.
- Include the money order/check/credit card payment.
Check/money order must be drawn in name of “New York Department of State“.
- Send the filled form to:
New York Department of State,
Division of Corporations,
One Commerce Plaza,
99 Washington Avenue,
Albany, NY 12231
New York Secretary of State Contact
For any queries, you can contact the SOS at (518)473-2492 during business hours.
Last Updated: 24/08/2018