Before officially forming your business (LLC, Corporation etc) in Vermont, you may consider reserving the name for your company first. Reserving business name is especially helpful in cases when you are sure to form the business in next few months but are not ready yet. Name reservation can protect your PERFECT business name, till the time you are ready for filing.
The business name can be reserved for the period of 120 days which can be further renewed once for another 120 days. The business name reservation can also be transferred.
Vermont Business Name Requirement
Vermont Secretary of State has mandated certain requirements which you must keep in mind while selecting a business name.
The business name must be unique and distinguishable from any existing business entity name registered with Secretary of State. Also any difference in grammar, similarly sounding business name, or using stop words does not make the business name unique and it will lead to the name being rejected.
For example following names are not distinguishable:
- Justin Plumber LLC vs The Justin Plumber LLC
- Mango Farm LLC vs Mango Farms LLC
- Jake & Mary Corporation vs Jake and Mary Corporation
Required suffix in the business name:
- For Corporations:
Must contain either “Corporation”, “Incorporated”, “Company” or an abbreviation of one of such words.
- For LLC
Must contain either “Limited Liability Company”, “Limited Company”, “L.L.C.”, “LLC”, “L.C.”, “LC”, “Limited”, “Ltd.”, “Company” or “Co.”
- Special businesses such as bank, insurance, trust etc need prior permission from the certifying body
- Language stating or implying the business is organized for an impermissible purpose
Checking the Availability of a Business Name
Vermont SOS provides an online tool to check the availability of any business name. You can use this tool to find and research name for your business. We have written an in-depth tutorial on how to search for a business name in Vermont.
How to Reserve Business Name
Business name reservation can be done either Online or by Mail. Filing for name reservation online is recommended as its more convenient and business name can be reserved instantly.
- Open VT online business service center web page – Link.
- Enter your login credentials. If you do not have an account, click on ‘Sign up‘ button.
- On the next page, click on ‘Name Reservation‘ under Online services tab.
- Enter the primary business name you have selected. You can also enter upto 2 alternative names.
- Select the NAICS code for your business. NAICS stands for North American Industry Classification System and classifies the business into various categories.
- Next fill in your personal details.
- Finally, complete the payment using your credit card.
Vermont Secretary of State Contact
For any queries, you can contact the SOS at (802) 828-2386 during business hours.
Last Updated: 17/07/2018