West Virginia Business Entity & Corporation Search
Business & Licensing division of West Virginia Secretary of State, maintains a searchable database of all the businesses registered in the state. The SOS provides a free to use online tool which can be used to search for any LLC, LLP, LP, or Corporation registered in West Virginia.
Business entity search is helpful especially for those who are looking to check if the business name they would like to register is available for registration or not. It can also be used to gain insights about other businesses. One can also check the current status of the business and extract information about business owners/registered agents using the search functionality.
Below we have provided a step-by-step guide on how to search for a business entity in West Virginia (WV). We have also described the meaning of complex terms used in the search report.
- West Virginia Business Entity Search
- [icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Search By Name
- [icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Search by Agent/Officer/Name
- [icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Advanced Search
- [icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Contact Information
West Virginia Business Entity Search
A person searching for any business entity in West Virginia can do so in two ways:
- By Organization / Agent / Officer Name Search: It is the simplest way to conduct the search but it may give broad results.
- Advanced Search: Use this search method to narrow down broad results or run complex queries.
(Kindly note that the search results do not include Sole Proprietorship businesses as they are filed with the West Virginia State Tax Department. For further information, call on 304-558-8683.)
[icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Search By Name
Step 1: Navigate to the West Virginia Secretary of State Business Organization search page. The resultant page will look like the image below.
Step 2: Enter the name of the organization you want to search in the given search box.
Step 3: Once you’ve filled the box, click on the Search button.
- Avoid using generic terms such as ‘Plumbing’ as this will give you ‘too many’ results to choose from. Try using precise words for better results.
- Do not put any special characters in the search field such as a comma, semicolon, brackets etc
- In case of a wild card search, precede and succeed your keywords with the sign of %. For instance, if you are looking for a business name which starts with ‘Virginia Plumbing’ then you should search ‘Virginia Plumbing%’.
- If your search results show zero matching records, there is a high probability that the business you are looking for is a sole proprietorship. To find out information on the same, you need to call the West Virginia State Tax Department at 304-558-8683.)
Step 4: On the page that follows, you’ll find the list of businesses matching the search string. Following information about each business will be shown:
- Organization name
- Organization ID
- Effective Date
- Date of Establishment
- Termination Date
- Termination Reason
- Charter Class
Step 5: Based on the above information, click on the business name you’re looking for. If you are unable to pinpoint the organization from the list, try opening each record to view the detailed information.
Step 6: On the third page, you will be able to view the complete information about the business that is available with the secretary of state.
|Organization Type||Type of Organization– Corporation/LLC/Partnership|
|Effective Date||Date from which the business was authorized to do business in West Virginia|
|Established Date||Date of establishment/formation of the business|
|Filing Date||Date of filing the documents|
|Charter||Indicates the ethnicity of the business – Domestic or Foreign|
|Class||Indicates the category – Profit or Non-Profit|
|Sec Type||Secondary category of the business|
|Termination Date||Date on which the company got dissolved or closed|
|Termination Reason||The reason behind the termination of the business|
[icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Search by Agent/Officer/Name
Use this form of search to find out listed business entities with which the Agent/Officer is associated.
Step 1: Open West Virginia SOS business organization search page in your browser (http://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/)
Step 2: Enter the Agent/Officer name in the text box as shown in the image above.
Step 3: Once you’ve entered the search text, click on the Search button.
Step 4: On the next page, you can find the list of businesses, with which the concerned Agent/Officer is associated with.
Step 5: Select the business entity you are looking for by clicking on the corresponding name.
Step 6: On the next page, you will be able to see complete information about the business.
[icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Advanced Search
Advanced search is useful in scenarios, where you would like to run complex queries. For example, if you would like to find a list of all the construction companies in Adrian city or a list of all the active businesses in a particular city, then in such cases Advanced search is helpful.
Step 1: Open the West Virginia business & licensing search page.
Step 2: Click on the Advanced Search Options (refer the image below):
Step 3: You will be redirected to the next page, where you can view a list of filters/parameters which can be used to refine the search. Following search options are available:
- Organization type
- Secondary organization type
- Business type
- Charter type
- Effective date
- Active/inactive status
- Business purpose
Step 4: To add any filter, click the ‘Add this search option’ link and enter the search parameter.
Step 4: Next, select the relevant options available under the filter.
Step 5: After all the parameters have been selected, click on the ‘Search’ button.
Step 6: On the last page you can see the list of businesses matching the specified criteria.
[icon name=”arrow-circle-right” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Contact Information
|Address||Secretary of State|
Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305-0770Link: Map (Opens in new tab)
|Office Hours||8:30 AM – 5:00 PM|
Monday – Friday
Links & References
Last Updated: 05/10/2018