West Virginia Business Entity & Corporation Search
Business & Licensing division of the West Virginia Secretary of State maintains a searchable database of all the business entities registered in the state.
It holds the records of active/inactive LLC, LLP, LP, or Corporation registered in West Virginia. The database can be accessed online on the SOS website for free.
But before we go ahead with the search guide, here are a few points you should know:
- Business entity search can help in checking business name availability in the state. It can also be used to find information about any registered business in West Virginia. And finally, one can verify the legal existence of any firm using the search.
- The SOS does not maintain records of sole proprietorships, trademarks, and DBA.
Below we have provided a step-by-step guide on how to search for a business entity in West Virginia. We have also explained the meaning of various complex terms used in the search report.
West Virginia Business Entity Search
You can conduct the search:
- By Organization / Agent / Officer Name Search: the simplest way to search but may give broad results.
- Advanced Search: Use this search method to narrow down broad results or run complex queries.
(Kindly note that the search results do not include Sole Proprietorship as they are filed with the West Virginia State Tax Department. For further information, call on 304-558-8683.)
(Use this option for checking business name availability)
Step 1: Navigate to the West Virginia Secretary of State Business Organization search page.
The page will look like the image below:
Step 2: Enter the business name you’re searching for in the text box.
Step 3: Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
- Avoid using generic terms such as ‘Plumbing’ as this will give you broad results. Use precise words for better results.
- Do not enter any special characters such as a comma, semicolon, brackets etc
- In case of a wild card search, precede and succeed your keywords with the sign of %. For instance, if you are looking for a business name which starts with ‘Virginia Plumbing’ then you should search ‘Virginia Plumbing%’.
- If the search results show zero matching records then there is a high probability that the business you are looking for is a sole proprietorship. To find out information on the same, you need to call the West Virginia State Tax Department at 304-558-8683.)
Step 4: On the next page, you’ll find the list of businesses matching the search string.
Following information about each business will be shown on this page:
- Organization name
- Organization ID
- Effective Date
- Date of Establishment
- Termination Date
- Termination Reason
- Charter Class
Step 5: Based on the above information, click on the business name you’re looking for. If you are unable to pinpoint the organization from the list, try searching again with a different search query.
Step 6: On the final page, you will be able to view the complete information about the business which is available with the secretary of state.
|Organization Type||Type of Organization– Corporation/LLC/Partnership|
|Effective Date||Date from which the business was authorized to do business in West Virginia|
|Established Date||Date of establishment/formation of the business|
|Filing Date||Date of filing the documents|
|Charter||Indicates the ethnicity of the business – Domestic or Foreign|
|Class||Indicates the category – Profit or Non-Profit|
|Sec Type||Secondary category of the business|
|Termination Date||Date on which the company got dissolved or closed|
|Termination Reason||The reason behind the termination of the business|
Use this search method to find the list of business entities with which any Agent/Officer is associated.
Step 1: Open West Virginia SOS business organization search page in your browser (http://apps.sos.wv.gov/business/corporations/)
Step 2: Enter the Agent/Officer name in the text box as shown in the image above.
Step 3: Click on the ‘Search‘ button.
Step 4: On the next page, you can find the list of businesses, with which the concerned Agent/Officer is associated.
Step 5: Select the desired business entity by clicking on the corresponding name.
Step 6: On the next page, you will be able to see complete information about the business.
Advanced search is useful in scenarios, where you would like to run complex queries.
For example, you can use advanced search to generate a list of construction companies in a particular city or to find active businesses in a particular state.
Step 1: Open the West Virginia business & licensing search page.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Advanced Search Options‘ (refer to the image below):
Step 3: On the next page, you can view several search filters like:
- Organization type
- Secondary organization type
- Business type
- Charter type
- Effective date
- Active/inactive status
- Business purpose
Step 4: To add any filter, click on ‘Add this search option’ link and enter the search parameter.
Step 5: Click on the ‘Search’ button.
Step 6: On the final page, you can view the list of businesses matching the specified criteria.
Secretary of State Contact Information
|Address||Secretary of State|
Bldg. 1, Suite 157-K
1900 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25305-0770Link: Map (Opens in new tab)
|Office Hours||8:30 AM – 5:00 PM|
Monday – Friday
Links & References
Last Updated on: 03/05/2019